Saturday 18 June 2011

Hard Working Saturday

Our car packed in 2 weeks ago, we were stranded half an hour from our destination at the Lake District.  It wasn't a bad place to be stranded, which is a good job, since it took 5 hours for the RAC to find a truck that could bring both our car and caravan home with us.  But I was impressed that my husband had had the foresight to join the RAC and that the RAC were willing to transport our caravan home too. 

Still it meant that we were back home 10 hours after setting off on a holiday that we'd all been really excited about (though a ride home in a tow truck seemed to more than make up for the children's disappointment, the adults were rather more grumpy about it).



We didn't think the car was worth fixing, it was a definite heart ruling head decision when we bought it in the first place as we bought it based on the lovely seat layout of 3 in the front, 3 in the back, rather than on reputation.  We reluctantly let it go to the scrap heap and so we've all been grounded at home for the last three weekends. 
The public transport links from our town are pretty dire so its been hard impossible to get anywhere.  My husband had a meeting in London last week and it took an extra 2 hours on the train each way - a total of 4 more hours on his already long train journey, just because he couldn't drive to the nearest mainline station.  So he and the boys went off in search of a family car that we can all fit into while I stayed at home with the baby. 

Inbetween playing with duplo, reading stories and trying to encourage drawing on paper, rather than the TV, bodyparts or the wall I managed to get a bit of work done.  Having given up my computing work 6 years ago to stay home my eldest, I never expected my IT skills to be used again, so its nice that I get to dabble a bit with the Makes A Change Website.  Its good to know that its not all been forgotten, even after 6 years, I am however pretty rusty.  Hence its taken quite a few hours to figure out how to put on a shiny new facebook button  but finally its there, in the right place and working!...and while I was at it, I got really carried away -  and I put on a button so that people can join our mailing list more easily too. 

...and the best news from today is that my husband found a car that he's happy with and we can soon enjoy days out as a family again. Not bad for a drizzly Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment